Tuesday, April 20, 2010

beautiful Julia

So the other day I was driving home from a friend's house when I looked off to my left and saw a beautiful, golden field. The sun was low in the sky so the grass glowed bright yellow as it swayed in the breeze. I immediately thought "I need to find someone who I can photograph here!"

Well lucky for me, only two days later my good friend Julia wrote me a note saying she would be in town for a few days. When I asked her if we could take some photos of her during her visit she graciously agreed.

Julia and I have been friends since I was 11 and she was 12. We had birthdays a day apart. I'll always remember that year as being the year when I turned 12 on May 13th and she turned 13 on May 12th. We were such good friends. We went to the mall, rode our bikes, did sewing projects together (thanks to her mom's help), and we sang together. I stood by Julia as her maid of honor when she got married, then she moved away with her husband to start a whole new set of adventures.

Now, even after all these years, when we see each other it's as if no time has passed. I know people say that all the time - it really is the case with us. We chat and laugh like we never stopped spending every day together. It's just effortless. I always imagined that is what it would be like to have a sister. In fact, I've often called Julia my sister just because it's the best description of our friendship.

But I digress... :-)

So as I was saying, I selected the location and Julia agreed to be my model. She came over to the house, we did some catching up, we selected the clothes she would wear for the photographs, then I looked out the window... at heavy, dark clouds . . . and rain.

Okay, not exactly the same golden field that I originally had in mind, but she was in from out of town and this was our one opportunity so we both agreed to roll with it. We grabbed a red umbrella and went to that same spot anyway. Here are a few of my favorites.















You really are beautiful, Julia.


Just for fun, here's a shot Dad took of us with our friend Melodie when Julia and Melodie graduated from high school. Tell me Julia doesn't look exactly the same!


Julia, thank you for spending the afternoon with me and for traipsing through tall grass in open toed shoes in the rain for me. 'Good sport' doesn't begin to describe you on this one! I can hardly wait until our next shoot - maybe that one will be a little dryer.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more that it is effortless being together. I usually don't think of myself as photogenic (I usually hold the camera and take the pics), but you made it so easy, and I had a blast being your "subject for a day."

    I couldn't believe it when it was suddenly 2 am, and we both had to go to work later in the morning :)

    I miss you already, my sister, and look forward to another visit.
    j

    ReplyDelete